Saturday, March 24, 2012
Filipino Beef Stew (Caldereta) Recipe
1 pound beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes (substitute young goat meat, less than one year old from the shoulder, shank, or leg).
2 tablespoons calamansi juice.
1/4 cup rice wine.
3 tablespoons soy sauce.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
one small onion, sliced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup chicken liver mousse
4 cups beef stock.
One Bay leaf
1/2 cup green olives.
1/4 cup grated Edam cheese.
Cooking Direction :
1. Combine the beef, calamansi juice, rice wine, soy sauce, and garlic in a large bowl and toss to mix.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
4. Add the onion. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 min. until onions begin to brown.
5. Add the beef with the marinade, tomato paste, chicken liver mousse, beef stock, and Bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Using a ladle, skim off and discard any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beef is very tender when pierced with a fork. Stir in the green olives and remove from the heat.
7. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Sprinkle the stew with the grated cheese and serve hot.